Pages

Mar 20, 2010

Diving into my sketchbook...


My roommate Sean Farbolin recently purchased the book Portraits by Steve McCurry. I've been looking for some interesting subjects to draw lately, and boy is this book a treasure trove. There's such pain on some of those faces. Some very emotional subject material (not that my sketches above really did them justice (working on it)). Drawing subjects from this book has been such a refreshing step away from Emma and Molly's Pet Yeti. What a relief to put the Cintiq away for change and use REAL artistic media. I've always enjoyed combining brushed ink with colored pencil. I get some of my best artwork from this combination. I'm going to dedicate my last SCAD quarter to really creating some dynamic sketchbook pieces using traditional media. I think it'll be a nice way to loosen up and enjoy my remaining weeks as a college student. 

2 comments:

Sean said...

I love these sketches! Also I had not seen Steve McCurry's blog before. I just saw his kind-of-lame website. Nice find.

Matt Doering said...

I know, seriously! There's some gorgeous photos on the blog. I found it while looking for his website :P