Pages

Dec 27, 2008

Sketching for Fantasy Illustration


Wow, I can't believe it. I actually got myself to do something today. Here's a sketch  for one of my five pieces for my fantasy illustration class that I'm taking during the course of my Christmas vacation. In the prologue of story that I'm illustrating, two japanese tribes are engaged in warfare out in the ocean. When all hope seems lost, the Heike tribe, rather than enduring imprisonment with the enemy, throw themselves into the ocean. This is a rendering of the child emperor with his grandmother, dead at the bottom of the ocean. In the final image I produce, they will be surrounded by dead samurai. A little gruesome I realize, but I think the scene will have a beautiful serenity to it when it's finished. 

I decided to change up the style a little bit. I might go back to a more exaggerated, cartoony look, but I like the realistic look too. I haven't really decided yet. I sure probably figure that out sometime soon.

Also, something I forgot to mention in my Christmas post: Drew gave his old phone to me since he has an iPhone now. It's a Razor V9, and it's mighty pretty. So for those of you who have experienced a phone call from the inside of my pants, no longer will you have to shout to get me to turn my phone off. It's a flip phone. Now if I forget to lock my keys, it won't matter :D.

No comments: