Pages

Dec 25, 2008

Merry Christmas

I'm not a huge fan of the fact that I've fallen behind in my blog-posts, but since it is Christmas, I feel it's only appropriate that I get off my lazy butt and write something. I promise that the rest of my Adventures in Tokyo journal entries will be posted eventually. The holidays have put everything on halt for now. 

I hope you all enjoyed your Christmas holiday today. I hope you’ve had the opportunity to share wonderful memories with your loved ones while viciously and nonsensically opening presents this morning. There’s something about the Christmas season that makes it magical, for lack of a better adjective. Personally it’s my favorite time of the year. There’s nostalgia attached to everything aspect of this season: listening to Christmas songs that I’ve enjoyed with my father since I was a kid, decorating the house with mom, and shopping for gag gifts with my brothers. The Christmas season not only holds a special place in my heart because of it’s spiritual significance, but also the fond memories it carriers of spending time with my family. My family is so incredibly dear to me. I guess this time of the year reminds me of just how thankful I am to be apart of it. It is my sincere wish to all of my friends that you have found the warmth and comfort of the Christmas season this year, as sappy as that sounds. There’s no better time of year. Enjoy it while it lasts.

As tradition dictates year after year, my family and I were awake and opening gifts bright and early at 8:00 a.m. For me, the day was difficult start. I was completely exhausted. My brother Chris, visiting from New York, chose my bed to sleep in, putting me on a leaky air mattress for the night. I think I eventually got about three hours of sleep after adjusting my back to the solidity of the floor. However, my lack of energy certainly did not stop me from opening presents. A cup of coffee (or three) and I was fine. I’m so addicted.

Since Dad graciously paid for my trip to Tokyo, my resulting Christmas hull was modest, just like I’d asked it to be. However, I did receive a few items from my Christmas list. My favorites were: The Art of Kung Fu Panda, The Art of Alice and Wonderland, Howl’s Moving Castle on DVD, and Horton Hears a Who on DVD. Chris got me the an art book containing all of the cover illustrations from the “Fables” comic book series illustrated by James Jean, one of my favorite artists. He could not have given me a better present. I haven’t been able to purchase any of his books because most are out of print and fairly expensive. Chris found this one for a decent price at Forbidden Planet, an awesome comic book store in New York. The artwork in his book is sensational. It’s funny because now that I’m more familiar with ancient Japanese artwork, I can seen how James Jean has taken influences from several of the artists that we studied while we were in Tokyo. I’m glad I’m still in the basic stages of my fantasy illustrations. I want to go back and change some things now that I have some new resources to pull from.

Drew got both an iPhone and an Xbox 360 for Christmas. Lucky dog. I’m slighty jealous I have to admit, but I’m not complaining. Drew has to pay Dad for the 360. The real gift was that Dad let Drew have a 360 at all. Until now, Drew’s grades in school have been to low. Dad wouldn’t let him have one, even though he’s saved up enough money.

Since the situation has changed, Dad decided it would be fun to surprise him. The look on Drew’s face was priceless. Every year, the three of us get one large present (the special gift at the top of our Christmas list) and a few smaller presents. After opening the smaller gifts, we each have to play “hot and cold” around the house, to find what we call “the mother load.” Well, to throw Drew off even more, Dad and I put his iPhone in a 360 shaped box and weighed it down with zip-lock bags filled with kitty litter to make it feel as heavy as the game system. My big present this year was the Tokyo trip, so when it came my turn to find my “big present,” I found another gift labeled for Drew. He knew instantly what it was, freaked out, and upon tearing the paper away, starting sobbing while hugging it tightly. Priceless!

All in all, today was a great day. I was still disappointed that I couldn’t give Drew his Christmas gifts that I bought for him in Tokyo. Sadly, I left the bag they were in sitting somewhere in the terminal of the Atlanta airport. Oh well. These things happen I guess. I’m starting to feel the Christmas slump. I’m enjoying my break and I’m not quite ready to go back to school. I’m sad to say it, but it’s time to move on. Now I have to get my butt in gear and work feverishly to get my projects done for my fantasy illustration class completed. Wish me luck. I post samples as I get some work completed.

Merry Christmas everyone! Take care.

No comments: